Friday, July 20, 2012

Stuck In A Rut


Recently I have started on my own quest to conquer a healthier lifestyle and to be active in getting out of a recovery rut I’ve found myself in. Without going into my whole story, I can tell you that my body has suffered greatly from my eating disorder and obsession with exercise. In August of 2008 I was admitted to an inpatient residential treatment facility. With that being said, after leaving treatment in January of 2009, my recovery has been synonymous to a roller coaster ride with extreme highs and devastating lows. In 2010 I felt as though I was at a place where I could participate in exercise in a positive and healthy manner. I joined a team to train for a marathon; however, the purpose of the team was to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The idea of running as a way to support those who were suffering from this cancer was helpful in reinforcing the correct mindset to exercise. Unfortunately because of the osteoporosis I developed from the outcome of my eating disorder, I ended up fracturing my pelvis just by simply running. Since then, my health has been quite a confusing subject and I am dealing with a life changing bout of chronic pain. To conquer this misery as well as focus on healing myself from the inside out I have turned to yoga and meditation. In treatment we started everyday with yoga and practiced meditation during different times of relaxation. I was a bit curious about these practices as well as timid to fully let go and embrace the process. Once I was able to fully understand what I was doing and the benefits, I became a firm believer in mind and body health. Coincidently I stumbled upon an article outlining the benefits of yoga as a new way to fight eating disorders which include awareness, forgiveness and a greater mind-body connection. I encourage you to read this article and try this coping mechanism. It saved my own recovery and I hope by being honest and writing about this topic I can pass along my insight and convince you to do the same!
Hannah, intern with Eating Disorder Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment